Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fists and Heart


Pacquiao vs. Margarito (Not, Maga Rito. Joke!)

It's November 14, Sunday.

It's not surprising if I'll be sharing something about the Filipinos' pride, the one and only Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.

I woke up early this morning though I slept late last night. Somehow, the boxing fanatic in me was excited to watch the much-awaited fight of Pacquiao. Yes, I watch boxing. I shout and cheer as if I'm watching volleyball or basketball games whenever I watch boxing.

When my boyfie called and said that he'll pick me up at around 11, I begged him to make it early. I wanted to watch the undercard. I do watch it because it makes me more familiar with the other boxers. Now undercard, tomorrow main fight.

Before going to the Arena, we had our breakfast at Jollibee along Ortigas Avenue. My excitement was ballooning at that moment. Here's the proof.

Ang puyat na excited!

When we arrived, I bothered to take a picture of the facade of the Arena. I didn't care if I was the only one doing that in the midst of men of different walks of life, age and height. (hahaha pati height kasali.)

The main entrance

One shot was enough. I really wanted to go inside. Though our tickets were for the upper box, we didn't care.
Libre kze. Then we carefully selected the best seats we could possibly have. Then, I started watching. It was yellow vs. white already when I started focusing on the screen. Yellow was like dancing. That's a tactic. Footwork is very important in boxing. So, I concluded that he's a thinker. He did win but in a split decision. Then it was followed by Jones vs. Rigondeaux. I was so into it because the punches thrown during the first round were as fast as lightning. Then maybe it was in the 3rd round that people including me went crazy because of the non-stop boxing. It was literally non-stop. I'd never seen such since I was young. At that point, I caught myself acting just like one of the boys. (hahaha! I didn't care.) Then the following rounds bored me. None got knocked out. Jones won. Well, so much about this one.

Let's get ready to rumble!

Then everyone got excited when we realized that it's Manny's turn. Perhaps the mama sleeping behind my boyfie and I was awakened by the cheer and uproar of the audience. I didn't bother to check anyway. The Mexican singer gave the signal of start of the main event. The one who sang the Philippine national anthem was okay, I think, but not perfect. It was followed by, of course, the U.S.'s. It was amazing, a very astonishing performance. Anyway, I soon got over it when the fighters were introduced. I was oh so ready to rumble. After the first round, I didn't have any doubt that it will be Pacquiao's another victory. It was just a matter of how long the fight will be. I was like wondering why Pacquiao didn't end it in Round 3. Thinking the fight will be over in Round 6, I actually admired the resilience of Margarito which continued until the last round. I admire Margarito's bravery. He went there to fight and he fought until the end. That kind of determination is worth admiration. I could hardly look at his face though. As for Manny, I think he did great as a fighter and as a Filipino. He is an epitome of a great and legendary boxer. He's the champ! I really enjoyed watching the combinations he gave during the fight. It was a blast!

When we were outside already, I insisted in taking some more photos despite the scorching heat. As I did, I wondered if others will able to remember the lesson of the bout.
Puro mga kalalakihan!

I hope Filipinos will contemplate on what had happened... on what they saw... The match was not just about action and skills, it was about HEART! Perhaps, now you will understand why I will say that watching Pacquiao vs. Margarito is lifeylicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment