Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Republics

The maxim “tell me who your friends are and I’ll tell you who you are,” may hold true in many cases. This prompted me to introduce my special set of friends. We are known to be “The Republics.” We branded our group this name after being inspired by the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the association of former Soviet republics.

We are eight (8), Roel Huevos, Hajji Paje, Ryan Caguicla, Robert “Record” Racasa, Josielyn Villaruz, Angelyn Saralde, Lea Fegalquin and me, Doinks.

My eldest sister, Minnie, describes us as “people who talk with sense.” Wow! I hope that Roel will read this, not just once!

Lem’me share to you what I remember when I say or hear their names.

Roel – Pag kulot, salot! I am not sayin’ that this is true though. Anyway, he’s a great mathematician. He used to take charge of the bills of the boys. After doing the math, he would collect the share of each. After everyone paid him the amount he demanded, he would say “bakit kulang?” (hehe) Before I proceed to the next, I should let you know that he was the one in charge of stuff related to computer. Yes, Prof. Umali, he was the only one doing the assigned tasks. We read the output anyway. (Doinks, in a defensive mode)

Hajji – Do you remember “Si Julio at Julia: Ang Kambal ng Tadhana?” If your answer is yes, when you see Hajji, you’ll agree with us that he looks like Fudong. But I warn you, make no mistake of doing a wrong move, he’s a judo expert. He’s also good at “draaawwiinnngggg.” (Pramis!) I also remember, Milcu! (Hiyang ba sa mukha, Haj?)

Ryan – Tall, dark and handsome. (Ehemm!) How was your experience in riding the MRT or LRT for the first time? Ryan’s is memorable. He’s inside the cart but a portion of his long-sleeve shirt wasn’t. Take note that he was dressed as if he’s going to attend a debut party. Also, this looker was the reason why the group’s girls received threats from members of an alleged despicable fraternity. (Asan na kaya sila?) This is what I remember. I dunno if this is true.

Record – He’s the board 1 of the school’s chess varsity. The first time we talked, he asked me, “what will you do if you see your friend is about to fall from a cliff? Will you still save him/her if you know that there is a slim chance and that you’ll put life in peril?” Now, he is one of our country’s pride. I also remember books, books and books.

Angie – “Pakanton ka naman!” She lived near our school and so her place was our hangout. Her height is below average and because of that, one time, when we were in SM department store-shoe section, we spent our time in a labyrinth in search for the missing “Angie.”

Josielyn – She’s the boss and I am not sure if she has been aware of that since day 1. She’s a real friend anyway. She’s the type of friend who, upon arrival our house, can comfortably open the ref or ask “anung ulam?” I also remember “Nielo.”

Lea – She’s our writer and memorabilia keeper. She prepares the best iced tea in the world. I’ve known her as a very loving daughter and sister.

TRIVIA: Each member of The Republics owned an organizer which contained a collection of old songs.

I am proud that I have known these beautiful people. I am a better person now because of them. I can’t imagine my life without them. The Republics is the reason why I disagree whenever I hear people saying that the best part of one’s life is high school.

Lifeylicious Moments!

‘D End.

No comments:

Post a Comment